Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Moving Forward/Common Core

"The only thing that stays the same is everything changes." Tracy Lawrence


As technology continues to develop and a majority of the nation moves into Common Core curriculum, we as teachers need to continue to adapt to meet our students' educational needs. We will need to look at standards and think about what is important for students to learn.


This summer, I have been asked to be part of a Common Core committee for ninth grade standards. However, I am most likely not even teaching ninth grade next year. To the best of my knowledge, I have been moved up to teach to the test (again).


I kind of feel like I'm lost in the shuffle. The more I think about it, the less I am certain of what is important and how I can best impact students. A big part of me wants to move back to Minnesota so I can teach in my home town and help take care of my dad.


I will try to stay current with technology through my tech facilitator, through Pinnacle conference, and through personal exploration. I have really embraced technology with my Creative Writing class this semester, but perhaps I went too far with it. I have to remember, balance in all things.


I'm not sure to what degree Common Core will affect my teaching. I plan to spend a good chunk of my personal time this summer figuring out what and how I will teach next year.

1 comment: